NOJHL keeps 4 in CJHL rankings
SUDBURY – The latest Canadian Junior Hockey League Pointstreak Top 20 rankings, which were announced Monday, sees four Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League teams once again earning recognition.
The latest listings, which are compiled in conjunction with International Scouting Services, has the Soo Thunderbirds tabbed third, the Cochrane Crunch 11th and the Powassan Voodoos 16th while the Kirkland Lake Gold Miners garnered honourable mention status.
Sault Ste. Marie continues to lead the NOJHL’s overall standings with a 42-5-1-0 record and is just one point shy from clinching their third consecutive league regular season crown.
Cochrane, who was idle last week, now sit second in the NOJHL East with a 36-9-2-2 mark.
Powassan slipped two notches in the rankings despite reeling off three wins last week and claiming top spot in the East as they improved to 37-9-3-1.
As for the Dudley-Hewitt Cup host Gold Miners, they sit third in the NOJHL East behind the Voodoos and Crunch having gone 34-12-2-1 so far this season.
Remaining the No. 1 side in the 131-team CJHL for another week is the Penticton Vees (BCHL), while the defending RBC Cup national Jr. A champion Portage Terriers (MJHL) moved past the Thunderbirds into second spot overall.
The following is the Pointstreak CJHL top 20 rankings and five honourable mention squads for the period ending Feb. 21:
POINTSTREAK CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (PREVIOUS RANKING)
1. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (1)
2. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (3)
3. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (2)
4. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (4)
5. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (5)
6. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (7)
7. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (6)
8. Battlefords North Stars (SJHL) (10)
9. Lloydminster Bobcats (AJHL) (12)
10. Whitecourt Wolverines (AJHL) (9)
11. Cochrane Crunch (NOJHL) (11)
12. Steinbach Pistons (MJHL) (8)
13. Winkler Flyers (MJHL) (15)
14. Chilliwack Chiefs (BCHL) (13)
15. Sainte-Agathe Montagnards (QJHL) (16)
16. Powassan Voodoos (NOJHL) (14)
17. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (17)
18. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (18)
19. College Francais de Longeueil (QJHL) (19)
20. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (20)
Honourable Mention: Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL); Bonnyville Pontiacs (AJHL); Melfort Mustangs (SJHL); Weyburn Red Wings (SJHL); Georgetown Raiders (OJHL)
ABOUT THE POINTSTREAK CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings are produced in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS) and are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 131 teams and nearly 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or@cjhlhockey.